Fosse, Fossa, Foça - from the latin meaning pit, ditch or cavity.
The village of Fosse, Les Cabanes sits in an open valley of the Fenouillèdes hills crossed by the river Matassa, a tributary of the Désix that has it's source in the pine and beech forest of Boucheville. The valley is a protected natural zone filled with orchid meadows, wild thyme and olive trees. Our neighbour Pierre's organic beef herd graze in the meadows. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.
Les Cabanes (from the latin capanna = hut, rudimentary house) is mentioned in 1011 as possession of the Abbey of Saint-Michel de Cuixà. A text dated 1347 shows that Les Cabanes was then a parish. The first records refer to the founding village and stronghold of Perles in 889, part of the land owned by the monastery of Saint-Martin-Lys. Abandoned in medieval times, the church bell of Perles was brought to Fosse and is rung alongside the bells in the church dedicated to Sainte Assiscle, a female Christian martyr.
There were about 50 inhabitants in 1700, then 80 in 1750. This figure increased in the first half of the nineteenth century, with a maximum of 137 inhabitants in 1836. Subsequently, the population has continued to decline. We arrived here in 2010 to a population of about 30 people. In 2018 two new babies will be born; our numbers are slowly rising.